(Makes 2 Servings)
- 20 Medium/Large Scallops
- 2 Eggs
- 1 c. Gluten Free Panko Bread Crumbs (I used 4c Gluten Free Panko Bread Cumbs)
- 1c. and 3 tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 c. Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (I used Bob’s Redmill)
- 1 c. Uncooked Arborio Rice
- 2 c. Gluten Free Chicken Broth (I used Kitchen Basics)
- 1 c. White Wine
- 3 tbs. Butter
- 1/4 c. Sliced Mushrooms
- 1/4 c. Peas
- 1/2 Lemon
- Oil (enough to coat your frying pans)
*For the Risotto*
Cook Time: About 30 minutes
- Coat the bottom of a small frying pan with oil and heat over medium flame.
- Once the oil is hot, add the sliced mushrooms and peas.
- Saute the mushrooms and peas until themushrooms brown (about 5 minutes), remove from the heat, and set to the side.
- Melt 2 tbs. butter in a small saucepan.
- Add 1/2 c. wine and 1/2 c. chicken broth to the pan, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the Arborio rice to the pan, and continue to simmer.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed, add an additional 1/2 c. wine and 1/2 c. chicken broth.
- Once the liquid is absorbed, add the remaining chicken broth and continue to simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
- The risotto is fully cooked when the grains are tender but still firm without being crunchy. You may want to remove a small spoonful (let cool) and squeeze a few grains between your finger tips in order to test. The cooked risotto will have a creamy appearance.
- Add mushrooms, peas, and 3 tbs. of parmesan cheese to risotto. Stir so that all the ingredients are mixed well. Salt and pepper to taste.
*For the Scallops*
Prep/Cook Time: About 10 minutes
(Prepare while the Risotto is cooking so the two are ready to serve together)
- Pat the scallops dry.
- Place the gluten free flour in a small Ziploc bag.
- Combine 1 c. gluten free panko bread crumbs and 1 c. parmesan cheese in a single Ziploc bag. Seal the bag tightly and shake so that the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese are fully mixdd.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs.
- Dredge the scallops- Place 1 or 2 at a time in the Ziploc bag of flour, and shake so that the scallops are fully covered in gluten free flour. Remove the coated scallops and place aside.
- Next, dip the scallops in the egg, so that they are fully coated, and add to the bag of gluten free bread crumbs and parmesan cheese mixture. Seal and shake the bag so that the scallops are fully coated. I recommend only adding 1 or 2 scallops at a time so that the scallops don’t hit each other and rub the coating off.
- In a large frying pan, melt 1 tbsp. butter, coat with oil, and place over a medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, place the scallops in the frying pan, spreading them out so they are not touching.
- Cook on one side for about 3 minutes (or until the bottom coating begins browning) and gently flip the scallops.
- Cook for another 3 minutes, or until the entire coating on the scallops is golden brown.
- Remove from the flame and plate.
- Place the risotto and the scallops on a plate.
- Sprinkle the scallops with fresh lemon.
- Serve and enjoy!